Re: e23 inverse video on mode line and nowhere else

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: e23 inverse video on mode line and nowhere else
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:21:39 +0200

> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:32:20 +1100
>
> Three possible solutions.
>
> 1. M-x customize-face will allow you to set the attributes of various
> faces. If you have the cursor on one of the faces you want to change
> when you run customize-face, it will, by default, allow you to customize
> that face. Otherwise, you can ask to customize all faces and they will
> be listed in a customize buffer (showing samples for each of the faces).
> One of the options is to set a face to inherit its attributes from
> another face and then modify it further. This allows you to have a
> hierarchy of attributes. So, if you wanted to have a specific face have
> no special attributes, you could define it to inherit from the 'default'
> face and not set any specific attributes. Doing this will mean that if,
> at some later time, you want to modify the default face, all the ones
> that inherit from it will also inherit those mods.
>
> 2. M-x list-faces-display will bring up a buffer showing all the
> currently defined faces. You can then use the mouse or cursor keys to
> select a definition for customization.
>
> Using either of the two above techniques, you can change all the
> attributes of a face i.e. bold, underline, fg/bg colour, size, font,
> etc.
>
> 3. Turn off global font lock mode. This will result in most faces just
> having the 'default' attributes.

In practice, solution #3 alone won't cut it, because some Emacs
features use faces regardless of Font Lock mode.

So what Karl would need to do is:

  . Turn off Global Font Lock mode.  This will turn off many faces.

  . Use "M-x list-faces-display" to list and customize the rest of
    faces.

  . Whenever a new face pops up, list it with list-faces-display and
    customize it.

The last item is needed because many faces are not defined until they
are first used by some feature.  Until it is defined,
list-faces-display will not show it.

I believe that with this procedure, the number of faces that evade
customization will fade out with time.