Re: too many buffers

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: too many buffers
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:25:49 +1100

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> When I use emacs for long times I end up having a lot of buffers.
> It's not a big problem but it can be annoying, and there are some
> buffers that should just not stay there:
> - magit buffers
> - dired buffers (I didn't find a variable useful to limit the opening of
>   new buffers)
> - completions/help/annotate.
>
> I normally use those things once and if I need them again I'll execute
> again the function.
>
> Can I limit the creation of new buffers or maybe I should write some
> functions that cleans the situation automatically (using ibuffer maybe)?
>
> And also with org-mode when I use the agenda it visits ALL the buffers
> without closing them after, is that normal?
>
> I have more than 50 files in the agenda only...
> Thanks

Its quite normal for emacs to have lots of open buffers. I think the
trick is to use some of the facilities and other packages out there to
reduce the apparent clutter presented to the user when using things like
list-buffers or switch to buffer etc.

Have a look on the emacs wiki at a few of the buffer related packages.
There are actually quite a few options out there. Your bound to find
something that will suit your preferences and requirements - in fact,
the issue will probably be identifying which one is best. Often, trial
and error is the best approach.

Personally, I'm currently using ido mode and while I have lots of
buffers open, I tend to not notice them. I've also found ibuffer and
friends useful at times.

Note that Org often keeps a lot of buffers open so that when you do
things like agenda views etc, it doesn't have the lead time of opening
them all again to determine what items may have been added/changed etc.
Of course, the number depends on the how many org files you have and
which ones are automatically included in your agenda views.
Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au