Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:35:57 -0800

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4 machine and ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions to only my home area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree in a directory in /scratchdisk and built emacs using

$ ./configure
$ make bootstrap

Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran

$ make install

But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/

How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ? Also can I remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds? (short on disk space)

Thanks for any pointers.
--
Suvayu