Fwd: visually mark off 80th column?

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: Fwd: visually mark off 80th column?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:33:54 -0800

Er, woops I forgot to cc the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: visually mark off 80th column?
To: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>

M-: (column-marker-1 80)

*does* work, but for some reason just having:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/emacs/")
(require 'column-marker)
(column-marker-1 80)

In my .emacs file does nothing! Very confusing. I'll post my whole
.emacs file at the end, just in case I'm doing something that
conflicts...

I also notice that when I type M-: (column-marker-1 80) it only
highlights the part of the column that have characters, which isn't
really what I want. Is there any way to make this highlight the whole
column?

This is my complete ~/.emacs file running on emacs 23:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(column-number-mode t)
 '(initial-buffer-choice nil)
 '(scroll-bar-mode (quote right)))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/emacs/")
(require 'column-marker)
(column-marker-1 80)

;; tabbar
(require 'tabbar)
(tabbar-mode)
(global-set-key [(s-right)] 'tabbar-forward)
(global-set-key [(s-left)] 'tabbar-backward)

;; try to get clipboard working
; stops selection with a mouse being immediately injected to the kill ring
(setq mouse-drag-copy-region nil)
; stops killing/yanking interacting with primary X11 selection
(setq x-select-enable-primary nil)
; makes killing/yanking interact with clipboard X11 selection
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

;; supposedly this part may be stopped by a bug...
;  active region sets primary X11 selection
(setq select-active-regions t)
; make mouse middle-click only paste from primary X11 selection, not
clipboard and kill ring.
(global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-primary)