Re: visually mark off 80th column?

From: Max Penet
Subject: Re: visually mark off 80th column?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:03:35 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 22, 2:42 am, Brendan Miller <catph...@catphive.net> wrote:
> In my other editors I always turn on a little line that delimits the
> 80th column. How do I do this in emacs?
>
> I'm on emacs 23, with gnome integration on ubuntu.

I am using whitespace-mode for this. I have tried other options such
as column-marker, but this seemed cleaner and has no external
dependencies (if you are on emacs 23)

Just add this to your .emacs:

(setq whitespace-style (quote (lines-tail))
      whitespace-line-column 80)
(global-whitespace-mode 1)

It highlights characters after the 80th column in a pink background/
white foreground by default and this will work for all your buffer as
global-whitespace-mode suggests.