[SOLVED]Re: Ubuntu Karmic : Emacs 23.1.1 regularly hangs for about 6 sec

From: deech
Subject: [SOLVED]Re: Ubuntu Karmic : Emacs 23.1.1 regularly hangs for about 6 seconds
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:41:37 -0800 (PST)

The problem was that my system was hanging on reading the battery
meter which is invoked by (display-battery-mode) in my startup file. I
could replicate this problem by starting a vanilla emacs (emacs --no-
init) and running the battery meter command (M-x display-battery-
mode).

By removing (display-battery-mode) from my .emacs file I eliminated
the problem (from the emacs department anyway).

I am running Ubuntu Karmic on a MacBook Pro 2,1,2. Given that it is a
vanilla install (of Ubuntu and emacs) so this might be a widespread
problem on this model of Macbook.

thanks ...
-deech