Re: Why can't I use xargs emacs?

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Re: Why can't I use xargs emacs?
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:18:58 +0000

On 2010-02-02, Bit Twister wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:22:17 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
>> The emacs command can take a list of filename arguments, so why can't
>> I get xargs to work with it?
>>
>> $ find -name '*.txt' |xargs emacs -nw
>> emacs: standard input is not a tty
>>
>> $ grep -rl 'foo' some/path  |xargs emacs -nw
>> emacs: standard input is not a tty
>

> Maybe it's the -nw switch. Try
>       find -name '*.txt' |xargs emacs

Yes, it works without -nw, but I'm often logged into an ssh server so
it's faster to open emacs in the xterm.

Anyway, the solution (posted by Thierry in gnu.emacs.help) turns out
to be this:

emacs -nw $(find . -name '*.txt')

Thanks.

--
...the reason why so many professional artists drink a lot is not
necessarily very much to do with the artistic temperament, etc.  It is