Re: UTF-8 character encoding in SVN log messages

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: UTF-8 character encoding in SVN log messages
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:26:53 +1100

Thomas Arildsen <tha.es-aau-dk@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:02:50 +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 10.12.2009 um 14:24 schrieb Thomas Arildsen:
>>
>>> Can I in some way configure Emacs/Subversion to open the log message
>>> buffer to be saved with utf-8 encoding by default? For example by a
>>> command line parameter to emacsclient?
>>

>> The latter does not work, which you can check by invoking emacsclient
>> with --help. The former might work with
>>
>>      (prefer-coding-system   'utf-8-unix)
>>
>> in your init file. Environment variables like LC_CTYPE set to an UTF-8
>> value should provoke the preferred use of UTF-8. Except you have set
>> some non-UTF-8 language or whatever environment...
>>

> Thanks, your suggestion seems to have solved the issue.
>
> Thomas Arildsen

FYI From memory, there is a config setting you can put in your
~/.subversion/config file that also sets the encoding used in change
logs. Normally, this would (I think( default to what the setting is on
the local system i.e. LANG= and LC_* etc. However, if this is set to
something like iso8859-1 and you set/force emacs to use UTF-8, you may
get unwanted/unnecessary conversions that could lead to mixed encoding
in the file (especially if you sometimes use other tools with svn).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au