Re: C-x C-b (switch-to-buffer) smarter suggestions?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: C-x C-b (switch-to-buffer) smarter suggestions?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:15:54 +0100

Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> writes:

> On Mon, 2010-02-08, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Let's say I have a dozen buffers, including foo.c and foo.h.  I am in
>>> foo.c but I want to jump to foo.h. So I do
>>
>>>   C-x C-b foo TAB
>>
>>> But this doesn't complete to foo.h, because foo.c is also an
>>> alternative -- even though that's the buffer I'm explicitly trying to
>>> switch *from*.
>>
>> Apparently, you haven't yet upgraded to Emacs-23.
>
> So you're implying that Emacs 23 fixes exactly that, or that it
> reworks the buffer selection interface completely?
>
> Actually I still use Emacs 21. Emacs 22 is also available as part of
> Debian Linux, but I gain more by sticking to 21, which is the one
> available at work (semi-officially available -- officially we are
> stuck with 20).

Interesting. I find it astonishing that anyone would insist on using
such an old version. Are your customisations so incompatible with newer
Emacs? The call of the daemon and anti aliased fonts would be enough to
move for most .. Or do you just have an intransigent BOFH?

> So, this annoyance of mine isn't so important that I'm willing to
> upgrade to Emacs 23 everywhere just yet.
>
> /Jorgen

The only issue I noticed moving from 22 to 23 was the line wrapping. The
rest just seemed minor trivialities totally offset by being on a modern
version.