RE: open file listed in a text file

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: open file listed in a text file
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:09:03 -0800

> >> What I want is that when the cursor is on the path of a file (in a
> >> file), I would like to open that particular file with a keyboard
> >> shortcut.
> >
> > I did the exact same thing! I put this
> > `$ROOTSYS/build/version_number'
> > in the *scratch* buffer and executed `M-x ffap'. I mention
> > this in my previous message.
>
> I think what Andreas mentioned in a previous post is of importance.
> Emacs is not understanding that ${var} or $(var) or $var are the same
> thing. I repeated my experiment again, I noticed `M-x ffap'
> works only when I use the $var construct in the buffer. Maybe you
> can write a function that translates your preferred construct to
> $var and calls ffap with that modified string?

I haven't followed this thread closely. I get the impression that the question
has been answered several times now.

FWIW, In Icicles, `M-.' in the minibuffer retrieves text at point - always. For
commands that act on file names (e.g. `C-x C-f'), you can use `M-.' to pick up a
file name or URL at point.

And it will expand $var and ${var} correctly. (But it does not expand $(var).)

HTH.