Re: Perl, etc has these "?"-prefix modifiers/codes/whatever. Precisely w

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: Perl, etc has these "?"-prefix modifiers/codes/whatever. Precisely which does emacs have (and NOT have)?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:23:46 -0500

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Subj:  Perl, etc has these "?"-prefix modifiers/codes/whatever.
>        Precisely which does emacs have (and NOT have)?
>

> Please, someone, make an ascii or html table or even plain text
> list of all these neat "new" non-standard ops that perl and
> even php and ruby etc seem to have now, comparing them
> to what Emacs has or don't have.

I don't understand your question. Emacs' regexps facilities are
explained in the manual, (info "(emacs)Regexps") . You will find on that
page a link to further details for programmers. I don't know what new
non-standard ops perl and php and ruby have, but if they aren't in the
Emacs manual, then they most probably aren't in Emacs.

> So you see a nifty regexp in that book, and you want to try
> it in emacs --- what a bear, trying to convert it into
> something that emacs understands.

It sounds like you're trying to use a manual for one group of
applications to learn another application. No question, that must be
quite a bear. Probably easier to use the manual for Emacs to learn
Emacs.

Tyler