Re: Perl, etc has these "?"-prefix modifiers/codes/whatever. Precisely w

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: Perl, etc has these "?"-prefix modifiers/codes/whatever. Precisely which does emacs have (and NOT have)?
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:22:34 -0500

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.1449.1266510261.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Tyler Smith  <tyler.smith@eku.edu> wrote:
>>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>>
>>> Subj:  Perl, etc has these "?"-prefix modifiers/codes/whatever.
>>>        Precisely which does emacs have (and NOT have)?
>>>

>>> Please, someone, make an ascii or html table or even plain text
>>> list of all these neat "new" non-standard ops that perl and
>>> even php and ruby etc seem to have now, comparing them
>>> to what Emacs has or don't have.
>>
>>I don't understand your question. Emacs' regexps facilities are
>>explained in the manual, (info "(emacs)Regexps") . You will find on that
>>page a link to further details for programmers. I don't know what new
>>non-standard ops perl and php and ruby have, ...
>
> Well, just get "Mastering Regular Expressions", by Jeffrey Friedl,
> 2nd edition -- it'll blow you away.

I have already read this book, and it did inspire me to incorporate
regexps into my emacs toolbox. However, it *does* include a fairly
complete discussion of Emacs' regexps. So if you already have both that
book and the built-in Emacs manual, what further documentation do you
want? If you don't find them in the Emacs chapter of Friedl's book or
the manual, they don't exist _in Emacs_.

But maybe, your first post notwithstanding, you aren't really asking for
new documentation, but in fact new features to be added to the regexps
available in Emacs? That's another issue entirely, as other posters have
commented on.

Tyler