Re: How, in a QUERY-REPLACE-regexp, to match a RANGE of lines?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: How, in a QUERY-REPLACE-regexp, to match a RANGE of lines?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:59:08 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.1412.1266448375.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

>Am 17.02.2010 um 21:22 schrieb David Combs:
>
>> subj: How, in a QUERY-REPLACE-regexp, to match a RANGE of lines?
>
>Activate Active Region Highlight, mark the region, perform regexp.

I'm not sure I really understand that.

>From one interpretation, it means find the first line, save it's
>start-location in
register x, say, then search down for the end line, go to its end, C-x space,
go to register x, C-x C-x, C-w, and it's gone.

>From another interpretation, well, I don't understand any of it.

Your "commands" are:

Activate

Active region

Highlite it somehow

then "mark" the region it somehow (as above in first interpretation?),

and THEN and ONLY then do some regexp stuff.

Peter, I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Thanks for the work, but sorry, I understand not one piece of it.

David

PS: oh, I haven't a clue how this would interact with query-replace.  What,
turn the first arg (regexp) into a function which goes out and DOES some
stuff (side-effects?), then RETURNS a regexp, which is what Q-R will
finally receive as its first arg?