Re: How, in a QUERY-REPLACE-regexp, to match a RANGE of lines?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: How, in a QUERY-REPLACE-regexp, to match a RANGE of lines?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:04:18 +0100

David Combs wrote:
> subj: How, in a QUERY-REPLACE-regexp, to match a RANGE of lines?
>

> Like from a line containing xxx up through the nearest one containing yyy?
>

> Totally separate question:
>
> (Any easy way to give error msg if you see another xxx-line before
> that yyy? -- other than by explicit loop looking at each line and
> remembering what it saw?)
>

> Or do you have to write an explicit loop -- checking each individual
> line, remembering what you've seen so far (eg, xxx), etc.
>
> In elisp, how would you do that?

(defun my-search-and-warn (&optional beg end)
  " "
  (interactive)
  (lexical-let ((beg (cond (beg beg)
                           ((region-active-p)
                            (region-beginning))
                           (t (point-min))))
                (end (cond (end end)
                           ((region-active-p)
                            (copy-marker (region-end)))
                           (t (point-max))))
                (orig (point)))
    (my-search-and-warn-intern beg end orig)))

(defun my-search-and-warn-intern (beg end orig)
  (goto-char beg)
  (if (search-forward "xxx" orig t 2)
      (message "%s" "Found \"xxx\" before starting-point")
    (when (search-forward "xxx" end t 1)
      (push-mark (match-beginning 0))
      (search-forward "yyy" end t 1)
      (exchange-point-and-mark))))