Re: Async Operations in TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Async Operations in TRAMP
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:03:41 +0100

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to make the dired/tramp file operations, typically
> remove, copy and move, asynchronous by spawning them as separate
> processes? This would make Emacs TRAMP even more unique and amazing...

Anything goes, of course ...

However, Tramp's main purpose is to provide handlers for magic file name
operations. So it might be useful to introduce a general asynchronous
mode in dired first, and to add Tramp handlers later on.

There are also some problems to be solved, for example if you want to
access a file, which is being copied or removed. And how to indicate,
that an operation has been finished, and it is safe to access the
resulting file.

I vaguely remember there has been a discussion about, but I have no
pointer.

> /Nordlöw

Best regards, Michael.