Re: Installing Korean (etc) fonts

From: Scott
Subject: Re: Installing Korean (etc) fonts
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:29:28 -0700

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 07:32:53AM -0800, Jason Rumney wrote:
> On Feb 19, 11:24 pm, Scott <harv...@montana.com> wrote:
>
> > The info says to install GNUintlfonts. So I downloaded that as a
> > tarball. Somewhere else it said to do:
> >
> >   xset fp+ /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts
> >   xset fp rehash
>
> That advice is quite old, and both Emacs and X have moved on since
> then. Installing Emacs 23 with xft/fontconfig support then installing
> Korean fonts using your distribution's package manager is probably an
> easier option than continuing to try to get Emacs 22 working.

Well thanks, but I don't think the advice is that old. Viz:

>From the INSTALL file of emacs 23.1:

: * intlfonts-VERSION.tar.gz

: The intlfonts distribution contains X11 fonts in various encodings
: that Emacs can use to display international characters.  If you see a
: non-ASCII character appear as a hollow box, that means you don't have
: a font for it.  You might find one in the intlfonts distribution.  If
: you do have a font for a non-ASCII character, but some characters
: don't look right, or appear improperly aligned, a font from the
: intlfonts distribution might look better.

: The fonts in the intlfonts distribution are also used by the ps-print
: package for printing international characters.  The file
: lisp/ps-mule.el defines the *.bdf font files required for printing
: each character set.

: The intlfonts distribution contains its own installation instructions,
: in the intlfonts/README file.

>From the README file of intlfonts-1.2.1:

: 1.2  Inform your X server about the new fonts

: The step 1.1 converts fonts to a format that X server can read (PCF
: format) and put them in proper directory.  But, you still have to
: inform your X server about the new fonts.

: If $INSTDIR is already in your font path (please check it by the
: command `xset q'), you can tell X server to update font hash table by:
:       $ xset fp rehash

: If $INSTDIR is not yet in your font path, you can tell one X session
: to use the installed fonts with:
:       % xset +fp $INSTDIR
: On some systems, you may have to give absolute pathname to the command
: `xset'.

Again, my system has no 'xset' command! I guess I will try compiling
the 23.1, but I have already installed all of the korean fonts
available through my package manager, and so I don't know why it would
suddenly start working with a slightly updated emacs.

Scott Swanson