Re: Inserting output from a program into a buffer

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Inserting output from a program into a buffer
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:20:15 +1100

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> On 2010-02-21, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> In article <slrnho1bpi.49k.tim@bart.johnson.com>,
>>  Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2010-02-21, Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> wrote:
> <.>> > original region.
>>>   Hi Tim:
>>>     Thanks for the reply. I had found that command, but unfortunately
>>>     replacing the region is the last thing I want to do. The end game is a
>>>     "time card", as you might guess from the data structure and the data
>>>     structure needs to remain intact.
>>>     Thanks Again!
>>
>> If you use it without the C-u modifier, the output will be put in the
>> *Shell Output* buffer.  You could use M-x insert-buffer to copy the
>> output into the current buffer.
>   :) It appears that while I was sleeping you all were working on my
>       problem. It occurs to me that yanking the region and then 'inserting
>       it after the output is captured should work. I will report on how that
>       goes.
>   Thanks

I'm just interested in what the external program you need to call is and
what it does?

I only mention this as I handle some timeclock/timecard requirements I
have using existing emacs functionality. Maybe there is an alternative
way to approach this issue that would give a better result.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au