Re: auto-indenting C++ files upon saving

From: Torsten Mueller
Subject: Re: auto-indenting C++ files upon saving
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:10:48 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> schrieb:

> > How can this be automated, so that a file gets auto-indented
> > whenever it's saved?
>
> As a point of contention, I don't think you should do this when you
> save. When you save you should be saving what you see. Students
> should be indenting as they go.

I agree with this completely. For me it would be horror to get noticed
that any automatic process in the background modified my sources and I
cannot control it. If this really has to be done for any reason I
would prefer if this would happen in front of my eyes while I'm
editing. (Indeed I'm also not a fan of this, I want the text to be
what I type in, not what any dumb tool thinks it should be.)

T.M.