Re: Hiding ^M

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Hiding ^M
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:31:30 +1100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Torsten Mueller <dev-null@shared-files.de> writes:
>
>> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> schrieb:
>>
>>> For buffers with certain major mode, I'll like to hide ^M
>>> characters. It is not possible to remove them and adjusting the eol
>>> settings of the buffer is not an option either (the lines that ends
>>> with ^M are mixed with "normal" lines).
>>
>> Yes, if there're ^M visible at the end of lines this is a notification
>> that there's a mix. I would not make them invisible. I would really
>> prefer to remove them because this mix is a relict from using
>> different editors who left the file in an inconsistent state.
>
> I agree, but the advice does not apply here because that major mode
> displays a series of diffs taken from all edited files on a git working
> tree. Some have crlf line endings, and they are shown as ^M.

Doesn't GIT have some sort of setting to handle this?

In SVN you would set the eol-style property to something like 'native'.
Then, SVN would handle eol differences automatically and ensure such
differences were not considered in version diffs etc. This eliminates
spurious differences caused by editors on different platforms that use
different eol styles.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au