Re: How to stop emacs from showing additional background for text?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: How to stop emacs from showing additional background for text?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:05:14 +0100

Am 25.02.2010 um 16:53 schrieb Raghuram Devarakonda:

I found that emacs frame is always coming
up with the same background color (very light grey) irrespective of
what I pass with "-bg" option. In fact, the color I pass with "-bg" is
what is showing up as background for all the text.

I don't understand this: is it failing or is it working? (Maybe some example helps.) With "frame-parameters" you are meaning initial- and default-frame-alist?

You can try to launch GNU Emacs with the -q option. This will make it not to load your init file. By this means you can at least find whether command line settings work.

Finally it's possible that Suse comes with its own set of special customisation files. The *Messages* buffer might record when they load, you could also search your system (with locate, for example) whether it has EL files outside GNU Emacs' installation area. This could give you a hint that something interferes with your setup. You could also use a trace utility to find out which files GNU Emacs loads at startup, which could also reveal the cause for differences you notice.

Anyway, a (small, two lines, 20 characters) screen-shot might explain what this "additional background for text" is.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.