Integrating Windows Emacs with Cygwin - how I got it working

From: The Quiet Center
Subject: Integrating Windows Emacs with Cygwin - how I got it working
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 02:11:58 -0800 (PST)

I downloaded a patched Emacs called EmacsW32. Lennart Brogman created
this version of Emacs, but it still did not have the integration with
Cygwin that I needed.
For instance, it was not possible to type M-x grep-find and have a
working grep.

After googling about, I found an [excellent post on gnu.emacs.help]
(http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/
8f52d7f83dd0fb28/72c4d30d8603b4ee?lnk=gst&q=cygwin#72c4d30d8603b4ee)
by Drew Adams. I had to modify his instructions with something I found
at [the web sailor](http://www.khngai.com/emacs/cygwin.php).

To keep it simple, I’m going to give you the whole process:

– Install a [GNU Windows Emacs](http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/)
- Put these two files in your load-path: [cygwin mount](http://
www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/download/cygwin-mount.el) and [setup-
cygwin](http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/download/setup-
cygwin.el)
- Put this in your emacs init file and you’re done:

(if (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
  (require 'cygwin-mount nil t))
(progn
  (setenv "PATH" (concat "c:/cygwin/bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
  (setq exec-path (cons "c:/cygwin/bin/" exec-path))
  (require 'setup-cygwin)))