Re: O'Reilly's Learning GNU Emacs

From: notbob
Subject: Re: O'Reilly's Learning GNU Emacs
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:02:22 GMT

On 2010-02-28, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it worth reading if I'm comfortable reading the Info manuals,
> especially considering that the latest edition is 2 version old?  I've
> heard a number of people who are very comfortable with Info like Yegge
> recommend it anyway.  What do you all think?

I've got ver 2 and it helped me 10 yrs ago when I began flirting with
emacs.  It's pretty good if you are a rank newbie with zero emacs
experience.  Much easier to understand than the manual.  OTOH, it's
very limited in its info and even ver 3 is outdated by 6 yrs.  This is
too outdated, IMO.  I'd advise against buying the book unless you can
get it fer $5-10, and then ver 3 only.  Too many good, more
up-to-date, emacs websites can be accessed for free.

nb