Re: Reset Emacs state

From: Johan Andersson
Subject: Re: Reset Emacs state
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:48:04 +0000

I'm not sure how that would help me? Do you mean something like this?
  (let ((var "some variable"))
    (call-process "emacs" nil "*scratch*" t "-Q" "--batch" "-l" "~/test.el"))

Using call-process would reset the state, but how do I reach var in test.el? I thought that was what you meant with dynamic scoping?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Johan Andersson <johan.rejeep@gmail.com> wrote:
> You mean like this?
>   (setq var "some value...")
>   (let ((var "some other value..."))
>     ;; Use var with some other value
>     )
>   ;; Use var with original value
> That would only work if I knew the variable names that I would set in the
> test, right? And that wont work...

Yes, you are right. However that is not a serious problem (as long as
you are not testing display things). You can always collect the result
to your current Emacs.

For an example of how to implement this see for example
web-vcs-byte-compile-file in nXhtml. (Which essentially just locates
the current Emacs executable and calls call-process.)