RE: Ido-mode working at half

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Ido-mode working at half
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:25:58 -0800

> To find a problem in your init file, use a binary search.
> Comment-out half of it, to see which half causes the problem.
> Then comment out half of the problematic half to see which
> quarter causes the problem. Then comment out half
> of the problematic quarter...
>
> Sounds slow and tedious, but it is very quick. You'll be surprised.

Perhaps I should also have mentioned that it's easy to comment and uncomment a
region of text, using `comment-dwim' (starting with Emacs 21) or
`comment-region' (all versions of Emacs).

`comment-dwim' is bound to `M-;'. I bind `comment-region' to `C-x C-;', and
`C-u' with `comment-region' uncomments: `C-u C-x C-;'.

Commenting a region of text wraps it in a layer of comments. Uncommenting it
just removes that layer of comments, leaving any lines that were commented
previously as they were before you started.