How to stop marking and (over)writing into the yank buffer at scroll bar

From: Nick Rudnick
Subject: How to stop marking and (over)writing into the yank buffer at scroll bar use
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 23:35:50 +0100

Hi all,

at use of the scroll bar, the text between becomes marked, leading to the yank buffer being (over)written.

At the same time, the text cursor jumps, apparenty to a position appropriate to the mouse position at the cursor.

I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
of 2009-11-10 on crested, modified by Debian, and this happens already at an emptied ~/.emacs file.

I would rather expect the text cursor to stay unchanged until the mouse touches the text area again -- is there a way to achieve a such behaviour?

Thank you very much in advance,

Nick