Re: Java development with Emacs

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Java development with Emacs
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:21:26 -0500

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Jeff Clough <jeff@chaosphere.com> wrote:
> Okay, so I think I'm just about done with NetBeans.  Thus far the only
> thing giving me a rash is the editor, which is made marginally useful
> (for me) through the Emacs key binding set.  Unfortunately, that last
> "ten percent" I'm missing has proven to be such a source of annoyance
> that...well...I just can't take it anymore, man! *sniff*
>
> What is the done thing when it comes to writing Java applications
> using Emacs?  There's obviously a mode for writing the code, but what
> other packages and .emacs magic might I want to use to get the most
> from it?  I could easily Google some how-tos and whatnot, I'm sure,
> but I'm also highly interested in the opinions of people actually
> working with Java today as to the usability of Emacs for the task of
> writing programs spanning multiple files and such.
>
> So if you're writing Java applications with Emacs as your
> center-piece, how are you doing it and what other tools are you using?
>
> Barring an all-singing and dancing Emacs solution that lets me browse
> classes, debug my applications, etc., is there any feasible way to
> make Emacs work with NetBeans so that NB can keep managing my projects
> but all of my editing can take place in Emacs?

Not that I've been able to actually make it work or anything, but I'm
fairly sure that the standard among people who live in Emacs and do
Java dev is a combination of [CEDET], [ECB], and [JDEE].  If you
haven't look at those packages, I highly recommend them.

Alternatively, just going with tagged source files could be all you need...

CEDET: http://cedet.sourceforge.net/
ECB: http://ecb.sourceforge.net/
JDEE: http://jdee.sourceforge.net/

--