gdb in emacs

From: belnac
Subject: gdb in emacs
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:37:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I have compiled a very simple C++ test program by issuing the command
g++ -g test.cpp -o test.so
I then issued another command to get gdb up and running
Run gdb (like this): gdb test.so
The binary loads up just fine but I'm unable to run the program. Tried executing Run from the Gud menu and I get an error message:
Symbol's function definition is void: gud-go
I am also unable to run any commands from within gdb's frame -- after (gdb). I can type them but nothing really happens (like r to run.) What am I doing wrong? I am using emacs 23 on Ubuntu 9.1. Thanks!