RE: Hello List!

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Hello List!
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:00:31 -0800

> Hello list!
> I'm currently switching to Emacs from the Textmate Editor
> on OSX since im tired of being stuck to a certain platform.
> I liked Textmate's mailing list a lot and i always learned
> incredibly much through it. Hopefully, this also applies
> to this list since i'm willing to learn elisp and write
> some own scripts to gain the full power of this editor.
> I'm working in the web branch, foremostly with PHP, MySQL
> & TYPO3 and i'm sure i won't regret the decision. Please
> help, making it easier for me. :) Ciao Nico

Welcome. Since you are used to Textmate, here is one place you might start:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TextMate

And this is another good place to start:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbie

More generally, in addition to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is good for
specific questions (and some discussion), Emacs Wiki is a good resource for
learning Emacs and Emacs Lisp. It's easy to search for info there.
http://www.emacswiki.org/

Also, it's always a good idea to ask Emacs itself for help and ideas. It has a
great help system, including hypertext manuals. The EmacsNewbie link above has
lots of links to info about learning Emacs and asking Emacs for help. This
includes a hands-on tutorial and Web-based guided tours and demos.

Have fun.