Emacs 23 scrollbar behavior

From: Ingo Strüwing
Subject: Emacs 23 scrollbar behavior
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:37:08 +0100

Hi,

is there a way to configure the scrollbar behavior to match that of
other X11 applications in emacs 23?

Scrollbars of other applications behave like this: To scroll, one
presses the left mouse button on the slider. Then one drags the mouse
around. On release of the mouse button, the slider remains, where it was
at button release time. Regardless if the mouse pointer is on the slider
or not. A pre-existing selection is not affected.

Emacs 23 (as it is configured for me now) behaves differently on button
release:

- If the mouse pointer is not on the slider, the slider jumps back to
where it was when the drag started. That is, where it was when the mouse
button was *pressed*. A pre-existing selection is not affected.

- If the mouse pointer is (moved back) on the slider, the slider remains
where it was at button release time. A pre-existing selection is
replaced by the area that the scroll action moved over between button
press and button release.

Can I somehow configure the "normal" X11 behavior, which former versions
of emacs used to follow too?

Regards
Ingo
--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels