RE: Variable in a dotted list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Variable in a dotted list
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:08:17 -0800

> How can I create a dotted list with the value of a variable as cdr?
> The documentation is
>   -- Variable: backup-directory-alist
>       This variable's value is an alist of filename patterns
>       and backup directory names.  Each element looks like
>            (REGEXP . DIRECTORY)
> and the value of DIRECTORY is a concat-enation of
> user-emacs-directory and a "name." It works to use
>       (setq backup-directory-alist   '(("." . "~/.emacs.d/Name")))
> but it's a bit too inflexible IMO...

(setq b-d-a  `((,user-emacs-directory ,@some-name)))  or
(setq b-d-a  `((,user-emacs-directory . ,some-name))) or
(setq b-d-a  (list (cons user-emacs-directory some-name)))

But I'm probably misunderstanding the question.

You said you wanted to create a dotted list with a variable's value as cdr, but
your example doesn't show that. The cdr you use is "~/.emacs.d/Name", which you
don't give as the value of a variable. The only variables mentioned are
`backup-directory-alist' and `user-emacs-directory' (which is used for the car).