Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly

From: Gary .
Subject: Re: emacs daemon.. but quietly
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:30:46 +0100

> You might just redirect that to /dev/null like so:
>
>   emacs --daemon > /dev/null 2>&1

I was right, I had tried this, or something like it, and it didn't work,
at least not perfectly. It might be that I forgot to do the "2>&1", I'm
not sure, but anyway your way works just fine. It doesn't work if I try
it with the emacsclient --alternate-editor "trick", I just get dumped
back to the command line instead of it starting any kind of emacs. I
guess I will have to decide between the two methods. I'm leaning towards
mine (yours and mine), because it means there is never a delay when
starting emacs, which is somehow gratifying (I find a delay when
starting the first bash session of the day acceptable, although in fact
I might even try
 emacs --daemon > /dev/null 2>&1 &
meaning I might not even see that)