Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:34:10 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <girzel@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm having a very weird problem: I recently switched from a Mac to
> Ubuntu, and at some point during the tweaking and adjusting and fixing,
> ido-mode started requiring my administrative password, via tramp. I have
> ido turned on via the customize interface, and commenting out:
>
> '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))
>
> in the customize variable list fixes the problem. It also turns off
> ido-mode, obviously, and re-enabling it via M-x ido-mode once again
> prompts for my sudo password (I see "Password for /sudo:root@mymachine:"
> in the minibuffer).

Somethig similar happened to me recently. The solution was to remove
$HOME/.ido.last That file keeps a history of visited files. I suspect
that if you ever visited a file as root via TRAMP, the fact is recorded
and when ido-mode is activated on the next emacs session somehow it
tries to access the file, or at least test for its existence, which
activates TRAMP.

There are other issues with ido-mode and TRAMP. For instance, sometimes
ido loads TRAMP for no reason, as in Windows the first time you enter a
path containing a colon. ido-mode has some variables for avoiding
code without success. I guess that ido invokes some generic facility
which is TRAMP-aware, that is, the problem is not in ido.el itself but
on some emacs API.

[snip]