Re: search-forward in emacs23 lisp

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: search-forward in emacs23 lisp
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:45:26 +0200

Am 27.03.2010 um 21:31 schrieb rasmith:

The behavior of the search-forward function in emacs-lisp has changed
in emacs23 in a way that breaks some scripts I use, in particular
cgreek-tlg.el from Naoto Takahashi's cgreek package.

Maybe the problem is simply that, that the buffer is in UTF-8. Then is makes really no sense to search for that byte because it does not exist, like a quark (although baryons and mesons are built from them), there only exists the two-byte word \xc3\xbf (standing for ÿ, LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS). Clearly, you can't search what does not exist – except you're Lancelot.

Which coding is used in the buffer? Can you switch to a (raw) byte- based encoding and test in this state?

--
Greetings

  Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
                                – Hunter S. Thompson