kill ring and system clipboard

From: Mark Stoelinga
Subject: kill ring and system clipboard
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:09:16 -0700

Hello,

I know there are many posts on this topic on various forums, and lots of
advice, but I've read and tried all of it with no success.

Basically, I want my emacs kill-ring contents to be available in my system
clipboard on my mac, but I can't get it to work.

My setup:

I have a MacBook laptop, running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.2).  I use a mac
terminal to ssh into a Linux cluster that is running Gnu Linux (not sure of the
version).  I'm also running the XQuartz X11 emulator on my MacBook.  When in
the terminal, loogged into the Linux cluster, I run "emacs" (which is Gnus
Emacs version 21.3.1).  This successfully opens emacs in an X11 window (via
XQuartz) on my mac desktop.  This all works splendidly.  And I generally can
get anything from any mac application or other X application INTO my Emacs kill
ring through either a mac copy (Command-v) or a X11 middle-mouse copy.

My problem:

However, what I have never been able to do is get the emacs kill ring contents
to go into my mac system clipboard.  The closest I've managed to come is
issuing the emacs command "META-X set-variable RET x-select-enable-clipboard
RET t".  This seems to sync up the kill ring contents with the system
clipboard, BUT now I can no longer put anything new into the kill ring from
within emacs.  If I kill a line, the line gets deleted but whatever was in the
kill ring before remains in it.  I've also tried, instead, using the emacs
command "clipboard-kill-ring-save", but this does not have the desired effect
of forcing the kill ring contents into the system clipboard.  The mac system
clipboard is uneffected.

Any new advice would be very appreciated!

Mark