Re: kill ring and system clipboard

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: kill ring and system clipboard
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:23:15 +0200

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:09:16PM -0700, Mark Stoelinga wrote:
Hello,

I know there are many posts on this topic on various forums, and lots of
advice, but I've read and tried all of it with no success.

Basically, I want my emacs kill-ring contents to be available in my system
clipboard on my mac, but I can't get it to work.

My setup:

I have a MacBook laptop, running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.2).  I use a mac terminal to ssh
into a Linux cluster that is running Gnu Linux (not sure of the version).  I'm also
running the XQuartz X11 emulator on my MacBook.  When in the terminal, loogged into the
Linux cluster, I run "emacs" (which is Gnus Emacs version 21.3.1).  This
successfully opens emacs in an X11 window (via XQuartz) on my mac desktop.  This all
works splendidly.  And I generally can get anything from any mac application or other X
application INTO my Emacs kill ring through either a mac copy (Command-v) or a X11
middle-mouse copy.

My problem:

However, what I have never been able to do is get the emacs kill ring contents to go into my mac
system clipboard.  The closest I've managed to come is issuing the emacs command "META-X
set-variable RET x-select-enable-clipboard RET t".  This seems to sync up the kill ring
contents with the system clipboard, BUT now I can no longer put anything new into the kill ring
from within emacs.  If I kill a line, the line gets deleted but whatever was in the kill ring
before remains in it.  I've also tried, instead, using the emacs command
"clipboard-kill-ring-save", but this does not have the desired effect of forcing the kill
ring contents into the system clipboard.  The mac system clipboard is uneffected.

It sounds to me like the problem is basically that emacs is not
running on your local workstation, but on another machine. While what
you want may be possible, why not just run Emacs on your local machine
and open the files you need to open using tramp?

Cheers,
Jonathan