Startup files data in different locations?

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: Startup files data in different locations?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:09:19 -0700

I have my .emacs and .gnus in ~/ as usual. I'd like to back them up
using Dropbox. I know that I could store them in my Dropbox folder and
symlink them to ~/, but I wonder if there is a better way. Could I copy
the settings in these files, place them in files in the Dropbox folder,
and then include only the load command for these files in .emacs and
.gnus? This way, I could keep my settings secure and could load them on
my Linux machines and my Mac with a single line in the startup files of
each system. No symlinks (which I am not too familiar with and don't use
much) would be required. So:

On each system, .emacs has one line:

(load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/emacs_startup.el")
(load-file "/home/ross/Dropbox/gnus_startup.el")

Is this workable?

Cheers.

Ross

--