opening buffers in particular windows?

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: opening buffers in particular windows?
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:04:11 -0700

A number of emacs commands open buffers in a window other than the
current one. For instance, hitting o in dired, or M-x man.

For dired, this works ok if I only have two windows open, but I often
have 3, it and it picks the window I *don't* want it to open in. Say,
I open a source file from dired, the source opens up in the small
window I was using for ansi-term, instead of the big window I was
using to edit source in. Then I have to rearrange or resize
immediately.

M-x man is actually kind of annoying because I usually want it to open
in the window that I run the command in.

Is there any way to control the window that buffers select to open in
better? Maybe make one window a target for certain types of new
buffers?

Thanks,
Brendan