Re: Help with sql mode

From: Gary .
Subject: Re: Help with sql mode
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:08:22 +0200

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
> "Gary ." writes:
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> use mydatabase;
>>> select name from phonerecords where name like "Ril%";
>>
>> Ah. Well I didn't do a use, I just tried
>> SELECT VERSION(), CURRENT_DATE;
>> and nothing happened.
>>

> You don't need "use" for that. It should work.

Well, yeah. That's why I asked :)

Let me start from the beginning.
0. start emacs :)
1. `M-x sql-mysql' --> I am prompted for various connection infos
which I answer, window is split into two, one showing the current
buffer and one showing the *SQL* buffer
2. I type my query as shown previously into the *SQL* buffer --> I get
some nice syntax highlighting
3. Press RET / ENTER --> the highlighting vanishes... no sign of any
output anywhere...

My config looks like:
(require 'sql)
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.sql$" . sql-mode)
                ("\\.tbl$" . sql-mode)
                ("\\.sp$"  . sql-mode))
              auto-mode-alist))

That's it.

The problem is I can't really find much documentation about this, it
seems to one of the least documented modes I've come across :(