Re: emacs and ls with cygwin

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs and ls with cygwin
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:41:03 +0200

Am 13.04.2010 um 01:33 schrieb Oren Cheyette:

I'm finding that the command "ls" produces garbage output full of control characters

This is no garbage! It's ANSI Esc sequence codes to colourise GNU ls' output. Such switch this behaviour in ls off or use an ANSI compliant terminal emulation (for example via M-x term RET).

I think since GNU Emacs 23.1 the *shell* buffer is able to "execute" these codes. Maybe you just need to activate this ability:

        (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

Check the documentation!

--
Greetings

  Pete

If all else fails read the instructions.
                                - Donald Knuth