How to debug problem with emacsclient and init file

From: Jim Burton
Subject: How to debug problem with emacsclient and init file
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:03:05 +0100

Hi, I an running Emacs 23.1.1 on arch linux. I start the emacs daemon
in my ~/.xinit file (emacs --daemon &) and can open new emacsclients
in the terminal with no problems, but when I try

$ emacslient -c

the line "Waiting for Emacs..." is printed and nothing else. If I add
the -n option:

$ emacsclient -nc
*ERROR*: Undefined color: "unspecified-bg"

So I tried starting the emacs daemon without my init file and
everything is fine -- I can open graphical emacsclients. This seems
weird because I can open a new (X or terminal) emacs without getting
any complaints about the init file. I thought about adding my init
stuff back in gradually but there's rather a lot of it, and I wondered
if there is a better way to debug this problem?

Thanks,
--
J Burton