Re: Font Interaction

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font Interaction
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:20:21 +0300

> From: pocmatos@gmail.com (Paulo J. Matos)
> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:35:55 +0100
>
> For example, I tend to run emacs-23.1 in a console both in windows and
> linux. The windows combination is Putty/Emacs and the Linux is
> GnomeShell/Emacs. Now, both the GnomeShell and Putty have its font
> setting. Emacs also has a font setting. If I don't set a font in emacs
> but I do set a font in GnomeShell and Putty to one that supports
> unicode, emacs still doesn't render that (obviously doesn't know about
> the font).

In addition to setting up PuTTY (in the Translation page) to use
UTF-8, you need to tell Emacs that this is what the terminal supports,
like this:

   C-x RET t utf-8 RET

That's all!  You don't need to set up fonts in Emacs, because,
obviously, fonts are not used by Emacs for displaying TTY frames.  I
don't know about GnomeShell, but I would guess you don't need to
configure its font, either.