Re: Organizing files in projects

From: Nicolas Forgerit
Subject: Re: Organizing files in projects
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:45:01 +0200

Valentin Jacquemin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use more and more emacs for my hacking activities. I am more used to
> Netbeans and Eclipse IDEs but the possibility to do anything from only
> one editor attracts me....
>
> One thing I miss however currently is the possibility to organize my
> files as a project. Typically if I develop a PHP application, I'd like
> to be able to a)navigate in the current file to jump directly to a
> class' member (either variable, function, whatever) and b) jump into a
> dependency, this can be a superclass or a class from a library I use,
> anything. Doing that from my beloved IDEs is very easy, but from Emacs
> I read about tags, anything and certainly others...
>
> My question is: is there an "almighty" solution?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Valentin Jacquemin

Hey Valentin!

I have almost the same problems, being switched to Emacs (coming from
Textmate) few weeks ago.

I'm still not that confident with Emacs, but there exists a nice
extension called "ecb" [1] (Emacs Code Browser), that uses (extends?)
"Cedet" [2] (another seemingly quite extensive developing environment).

As far as i can tell, ecb (using etags for that task) does not support
parsing of all kind of PHP-Code. I'm still evaluating that, but it seems
that it has problems with namespaces missing to analyze the given PHP5
code with a message like "unknown syntax tokens". I found that out by
trying to load FLOW3-Code, whereas TYPO3-Files up to T3v4.4 works. (Yes,
i'm a TYPO3 guy! :)

As i have said i'm not very confident with that Emacs stuff at all, so
we need a statement of a PHP-Guru using Emacs for all stuff he's doing.

Ciao
    Nico

PS: What might be a generally good source for Emacs Help, is the Emacs
Wiki [3]. I'm always surfing there when the business lets having me some
minutes for stuff..

[1] http://ecb.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://cedet.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://www.emacswiki.org/