Re: Organizing files in projects

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Organizing files in projects
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:50:11 +0200

Valentin Jacquemin <jacqueminv@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I use more and more emacs for my hacking activities. I am more used to
> Netbeans and Eclipse
> IDEs but the possibility to do anything from only one editor attracts me....
>
> One thing I miss however currently is the possibility to organize my files as
> a project.
> Typically if I develop a PHP application, I'd like to be able to a)navigate
> in the current
> file to jump directly to a class' member (either variable, function,
> whatever) and b) jump
> into a dependency, this can be a superclass or a class from a library I use,
> anything. Doing
> that from my beloved IDEs is very easy, but from Emacs I read about tags,
> anything and
> certainly others...
>
> My question is: is there an "almighty" solution?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Valentin Jacquemin

Simple answer :no.

More complex : maybe.

Look up cedet. And tags. And global tags. And cscope. And .....

The most promising solution is cedet. It is pretty complex and I can't
comment on the maturity of the PHP parser.

Anything counts itself out from its awful UI imo. For completion I use
company-mode which has a cedet hook.

For navigation generally etags - exhuberant-ctags.