Re: Strange font / frame size problem makes emacs unusable.

From: Gaute Amundsen
Subject: Re: Strange font / frame size problem makes emacs unusable.
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:58:45 +0200

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 11:36 +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 26.04.2010 um 09:18 schrieb Gaute Amundsen:
>
> > xlsfonts | grep misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--
>
> *Don't* use the '--' when grep'ing for a font name! And it's so much
> easier to
>
>       xlsfonts -fn '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*'

Don't seem to make much of a difference to he results.
Seems grep is smart enough to know it's part of the string..

> >> Since Ubuntu is Debian based
> >> there are certainly some system init files. They're either missing
> >> (because you did not install the packages) or they're for a different
> >> version of GNU Emacs? Find and check them!
> >
> > None that I can spot.
> > Can you suggest a string to grep /etc/ for?
>
> No, I am not using a Debian based Linux. Other suggestions: locate .el
> | egrep '^/etc',

Only hits are /etc/emacs/site-start* and
/etc/emacs23/site-start.d/00debian-vars.elc

piping into "xargs -n 1 grep -i font" gives no hits.

> launch GNU Emacs as
>
>       emacs [...] -eval '(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
> (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Lade jetzt: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))'

Should the message show up in *Messages* ? Nothing there.
Tried emacs --debug-init as well with no obvious sign of anything
happening.

> >> Some trace variant is able
> >> to record files being opened.
> >
> > neither strace and lsof show anything resembling those names.
>

> Lsof certainly is the wrong choice: it can only list files kept open
> by some process at this moment, not those once temporarily opened and
> now closed. And I am more familiar with DTrace in Solaris or Mac OS X...

Right.

ok. Thanks.

Gaute