Re: two dired questions

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: two dired questions
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:41:48 -0000

B. T. Raven wrote:
i.
Is there a function or, better yet, a keychord that backspaces (by
erasing) subdirectory components in the minibuffer. So, if the current
directory is deeply embedded in the file hierarchy, can I hit a key
combo to move backwards (upwards toward the root) in the directory tree:

Ed,
In any buffer (with a file), pressing C-x C-j will open a *dired* buffer
containing that file, and move the point to that file's entry.
In a *dired* buffer, it opens the parent directory.

I'm not sure how to replace the current *dired* buffer with its parent.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.