Re: calendar-date-style

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: calendar-date-style
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:41:29 -0000

Pingouin wrote:

> (setq european-calendar-style t) in my .emacs, that did the trick but
> now Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete variable; it
> tells me to use "calendar-date-style" instead, but the doc says:
>
> |______________
> Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
> calendar package is already loaded).

The doc for european-calendar-style said exactly the same thing.
Therefore, you can simply replace

(setq european-calendar-style t)

with

(setq calendar-date-style 'european)

and if the former worked (ie, was evaluated before you load the
calendar), the latter will too. (The former will still work as well.)

By the way, if "Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete
variable" means that you are byte-compiling your .emacs file, it usually
isn't worth the trouble.

> In .emacs I tried to use the function "calendar-set-date-style" every
> way I could think of but with no luck!  Please an example!

(require 'calendar)
(calendar-set-date-style 'european)

> I also tried to set "calendar-date-style" through M-x customize, as
> suggested.

Works fine for me.

>  After setting it to "european", clicking the "Save for future
> sessions" button yielded the following error:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function recentf-expand-file-name)
>   recentf-expand-file-name("c:/EMACS/.emacs")

I guess you have somehow set `recentf-mode' non-nil without actually
activating recentf-mode. Do you have any settings related to recentf in
your .emacs? The right way to activate recentf is

(recentf-mode 1)

not

(setq recentf-mode t)