(save-excursion (other-window 1)) leaves me in the other window

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: (save-excursion (other-window 1)) leaves me in the other window
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:41:39 -0000

A native reimplementation of scroll-other-window doesn't work as I'd
expect:

  (save-excursion
    (other-window 1)
    (scroll-up))

The problem is that the current window isn't restored, which surprised
me considerably.  Why doesn't this work, and how would I write a
function to go do some stuff in the other window and then come back?