Re: Sloppy Directory Completion

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Re: Sloppy Directory Completion
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:41 -0000

On 17 mar, 15:18, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Why doesn't Emacs complete on directories only in for example dired
> > (C-x d)?
> > Is this a bug or a todo?
>
> I think it's a bug.
>
>         Stefan

Firstly dired should uses dired-read-dir-and-switches which in turn
uses read-directory-name and not read-file-name which we could expect.
I believe this is todo.

Secondly from the definition of read-directory-name we can deduce that
it will not work as long as PREDICATE argument in read-file-name() is
not respected. I wrote about this in another thread today here on
gnu.emacs.help.

/Nordlöw

Definition follows

(defun read-directory-name (prompt &optional dir default-dirname
mustmatch initial)
  "..."
  (unless dir
    (setq dir default-directory))
  (read-file-name prompt dir (or default-dirname
                                 (if initial (expand-file-name initial dir)
                                   dir))
                  mustmatch initial
                  'file-directory-p))