Generic Interface to Ignoring Files in VC

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Generic Interface to Ignoring Files in VC
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:29 -0000

Has anybody extended vc to provide a generic interface to ignoring
file(s) either using a specific file or using a glob matcher?

The simplest implementation I can think simply cases on vc-backend()
and vc-state() and then either add it to the .vc-name-ignore file or
ignore it through a shell command. I only know about git and it uses a
file named .gitignore . The only bother I can think of is if several
parental directories contain the .gitignore file. I guess the bottom-
most directory wins in this case right?

If I want to write one in a way compatible with the way vc handles
different backends where would I start?

Thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw