Re: getting emacs icon in gnome

From: Roger Mason
Subject: Re: getting emacs icon in gnome
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:41 -0000

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I used to use emacs from my distro (usually debian or ubuntu)
> Then I started compiling my own emacs
> Then I thought -- Why keep the distro version -- And removed it.
>
> Now Ive no emacs icon for the bar at the top of gnome.
> Can someone tell me how to set the icon?

Here's what I did to get the emacs icon on the Applications menu

(1) Right click on Applications.
(2) Select Edit Menus
(3) Select the sub-menu that contains the entry for Emacs
(4) Select the entry for Emacs & right-click it
(5) Select Properties
(6) Click on the icon that appears on the left side of the dialogue box
    that pops up.
(7) The file selector that pops up may contain the emacs icon, but you
    may have to browse around in other directories to see the icon you
    want. On my Gentoo system it is in
    usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/

Hope this helps,
Roger